Thursday 2 October 2014

A nice letter from Maurice Boyce, an old school mate from Spring Grove School near Wakefield, Nelson

Dear John & Mei, 
 
Great to know that you got my e-mail, I thought I may have lost contact with you both for a while. As I mentioned I have un-subscribed to Google Plus, the simple reason being that I just do not have time for much in the way of internet activities but having said that thank you very much for all of your posts over the years and now your NZ pictures, they are really nice and I enjoy seeing all your activities.
 
Getting back to your China posts, I feel that I learnt a lot about modern China from your pictures and e-mails, often it was just the little things like how you could go to a local supermarket and buy a leg of NZ lamb, or your anecdotes about having to climb up and down 11 flights of steps while waiting for elevator repairs and all those snow pictures.
 
Yes, I imagine it will be quite a time of adjustment getting back to the NZ way of life, have you been able to show Mei things like baby lambs? One thing you have probably noticed on your return to NZ would be the massive increase in house prices. Auckland is not far behind Sydney where prices have just gone insane, round here you will pay $1.2m for a 1950s 3 bedroom bungalow, that is if you can find one for sale. I also understand that prices in Nelson/Tasman are at record highs but I understand that you can still get a lot of house for your money in places like Thames.
 
As for my life here, unfortunately it is more of the same although there have been a few minor improvements it is still a full-time job caring for Ruth. But, we have been able to get out a little more of late, today it was chicken and chips lunch here at Kirrawee (I just had a coffee) but Ruth absolutely enjoyed it. On Monday we went to Camellia gardens, a council run park about 5 km from here, had a rather nice lunch there, a little more up-market. Here are a couple of pictures;
 
  
  
 Above, Ruth at the duck pond, below, a picture that Ruth took of me;
 
  
  
Will close for now, hope you are both keeping well,
 
All the best
 
MGB
Maurice & Ruth Boyce

No comments:

Post a Comment